Sunday, October 08, 2006

Well, it finally happened. The one thing that I have avoided with a passion my entire married life. I got a scale.

I have never wanted a scale in the house. Not because I was avoiding the issue of my weight, I mean, there is no way that I didn't know I was heavy. I just didn't want to be one of those people who was on the scale fifty times a day, obsessing about every tenth of a pound. And the fact is, I still wouldn't have one except my MIL brought one over. So now it is in the bathroom. I have weighed myself. I'm not happy with the number, but it is less than I thought it was going to be, so that's good. I'll wait to post offical numbers here until after I go to the weight watchers meeting on Tuesday.

I feel sorry for MIL, though. She bought herself a new scale, and gave me the old one. The new one is calibrated a pound and a half higher than the old one.

We had breakfast at church, and I looked up how many points for a biscuit and gravy before we left. I had one biscuit and a 1/4 cup of gravy (didn't even eat all of the gravy), and then I left the room. I wasn't hungry after I ate it, but I was really hungry by the time I got home at noon, so I had a yogurt and cereal for lunch. So my total through lunch was 16 points. Not good, but I guess I could use weekly points for the biscuit and gravy. They are there to use, and the whole point is to learn how to eat for life, including "special" occaisions like breakfast at church. Still, I think the next time I have to eat there to be sociable, I might take along something healthier.

2 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I think I shared with you already that I've had to start eating low-fat/low cholesterol because my cholesterol numbers were way out of whack. It was hard at first to know how to cook, eat, etc., but it's much easier now. The doctor has me limiting my total fat to 30 grams a day. This is easy to control at home, but eating out is hard. I've learned how to do it though and often special order things in restaurants. I always carry a non-fat salad dressing packet in my purse, just in case. I'm eating this way to reduce my risk of heart disease, which runs in my family. The bonus: I've lost weight and now am the same size I was in college.

Anonymous said...

YES!!! I can understand this BLOG!!! With the fiber blog, I am just so proud of you and so completely clueless. Just smile n' nod. But this I understand, relate and I am in the same boat!

Jan it takes alot of courage to face a situation and try and cahange it. Even more to take it public to your friends. You go girl! I am praying for you and plan to join along with ya. I have to get some of this weight off - especially if I am looking at possible surgery again. Love ya!